The age old tale lives on. Some doctors believe that the benefits of chicken soup are mainly psychosomatic, that it’s nothing more than the ultimate comfort food. Others say the steaming hot soup clears congestion and provides the body with necessary hydration to flush out viral bugs. Either way, it’s a goodie.
I discovered this recipe about a year ago when I had my dental surgery & braces fitted, and then it made a comeback as winter approached and our recent cold spell hit. I love that it is easy enough to whip up when needed, I almost always have the ingredients for it and my girls think it’s delicious. What a win!
- 3 medium carrots
- 4 celery sticks
- 1 onion
- 1 pack mixed chicken pieces (I use a pack of 8 drumsticks & thighs)
- herbs of your choice (I usually go with sage / thyme / parsley)
- 8 cups water
- salt & pepper to taste
- chop onion, carrots & celery
- place all ingredients in a big pot and simmer on medium heat for around two hours or until chicken begins to fall off the bones
- remove the chicken pieces from broth with tongs
- dispose of skin and bones before returning the chicken meat to the broth
- check seasoning and enjoy
We had ours with fresh low carb rolls (from the low carb solution for diabetics) and real butter last night which was all kinds of delicious.
One thought on “one recipe everyone should own”
Yummie ! Thanks for this Jen ! Looks good and I love celery so will defintely make this ! Also love soup and buttered rolls !